Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Japanese sub design for Collins replacement, not mentioned by new empty-suit DM

FYI:


Minister for Defence – Minister Andrews visits defence projects in SA
22 January 2015

Minister for Defence, Kevin Andrews, today visited the Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) and Collins Class Submarine sites in Adelaide.

Mr Andrews, accompanied on the visit by the Chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Tim Barrett AO CSC RAN, met with senior Defence officials and key shipbuilding industry leaders to receive briefings on the projects.

The Minister was given a tour of the shipyard facilities at Osborne to see first-hand the progress of the Air Warfare Destroyers.

“I am pleased to have seen the hard work and dedication that is going into what is the most complex naval shipbuilding program in Australia,” Mr Andrews said.

“It was great to be accompanied on the visit by the Member for Hindmarsh, Matt Williams, and Senator David Fawcett, who have been strong advocates for the South Australian defence industry.

“I also had the opportunity this week to have productive meetings with Opposition Leader Steven Marshall, Defence Industries Minister Martin Hamilton-Smith, Opposition spokesman Dan van Holst Pellekaan and Senator Nick Xenophon.

“The Australian Government has not yet decided on a particular submarine design and more work is required before such a decision is made. Decisions about this next generation of submarines need to be made on the basis of what is best for our Armed Forces and our national security.

“The new submarine program will be the largest defence building program in our history. Whatever decision is taken, there will be more submarines and that means more jobs for South Australia.

“The Federal Government is committed to working closely with the defence industry and the South Australian Government in the future.”

Media note:
Imagery available at: http://images.defence.gov.au/S20150083

Media contacts:
Cristy Elliott (Minister Andrews’ office): 0437 413 960
Defence Media Operations: (02) 6127 1999

---And---

Minister for Defence – Minister for Defence Kevin Andrews talks about his visit to the Australian Submarine in Adelaide, SA.
22 January 2015

E&OE



QUESTION: What have you seen and heard here, and learned most importantly?

KEVIN ANDREWS: Look, can I say it’s been a delight to be here, particularly with my friend and colleague Senator David Fawcett. This is very early days for me as the Defence Minister, and one of the things I wanted to do as soon as I possibly could was to come over to Adelaide, to South Australia, and to see what’s happening with the Submarine Corporation. I’ve had a great tour this morning, looking at the destroyer program and now looking at the submarine program as well; and that basically provides me with a lot of information and gives me context for starting to look at the next stages of where we continue to build our defence capacity in Australia.

QUESTION: Are you going to build the future subs here?

KEVIN ANDREWS: Look, there’s a process we’re going to go through. We have not made any decisions at this stage about the building of future submarines. There is a proper process we go through. But I thought it was important that I come over here to Adelaide, to South Australia, and look at what’s happening here. We’ve not ruled anything in or out at this stage; it will go through the proper process, we will do it in a very cautious – from my perspective we’ll do it in a conservative way, and we’ll make sure that we have the right decision for the defence of Australia, and the other needs we need to take into account.

QUESTION: And [indistinct]?

KEVIN ANDREWS: We haven’t got a specific timeline at this stage, and it’s always more important to get the right decision than to be meeting any artificial timeline. That’s been my approach to every portfolio that I’ve held, and will be the approach that I take in this portfolio as well.

QUESTION: What about [indistinct]-

QUESTION: [Talking over] What about design work on the – sorry, just what about the design work on the subs? Is ASC still in the running, or are you looking-

KEVIN ANDREWS: [Interrupts] Look, all of these are questions to be answered in the future. As I said, this is a fact-finding mission for me; it’s to show that I in particular want to know all aspects of this program that’s going to be involved, and I thought one of the starting points to do that was to come here to Adelaide and look at what’s happening now. And I’ve been delighted with having the opportunity, along with Senator Fawcett, and indeed my colleague Matt Williams earlier this morning, to have a look around. And this gives me some very useful background for the future.

QUESTION: And from what you’ve seen today, would you trust them to build a canoe?

KEVIN ANDREWS: Look, I’m not making comments along those lines whatsoever. I’m very fond of Adelaide as a city, it’s my second-favourite city in Australia. It happens to have another attraction this week as well, which I might get to see a little bit of as well. But this is a- obviously a very significant operation so far as Adelaide, South Australia, and Australia is concerned.

QUESTION: We’ve had-

QUESTION: [Indistinct].

KEVIN ANDREWS: Last question please.

QUESTION: Robert Ovadia from Channel 7 has been covering this story over the last few weeks, and basically it implicates the Chief of Army in some knowledge that he had to do with the Jedi Council. Are you aware of that, and do you stand by his actions in relation to that matter?

KEVIN ANDREWS: Look, that’s a story I’m not aware of at this stage. So I’m not going to comment on something I don’t know about.

QUESTION: Will you be looking into it? Because it is rather a- rather damning of the Chief of Army?

KEVIN ANDREWS: As I said, I don’t know anything about the story, so I won’t make any comment because it would be simply a hypothetical comment, and that would be inappropriate. I must go, so, I must-

QUESTION: Do you have confidence in the Chief of Army?

KEVIN ANDREWS: I must go. I have confidence in all the military. [Indistinct] Australia we have one of the finest, if not the finest, defence forces in the world. I’m very proud of them all the way from the private right through to the senior ranks of the Australian military. And I think Australians can take great pride in the military of Australia.

Thanks very much. I must go. Sorry.

QUESTION: And are you riding the Bupa Challenge tomorrow?

KEVIN ANDREWS: Oh look, I’ll answer that one. I am. I hope it’s no hotter than today. I’m not sure how I’m going to get through 151 kilometres as it is, but my 17-year-old son might have to give me a tow at some stage, so. Thanks very much. Good. Thank you.

QUESTION: Thank you.



---

-New Defence White Paper fails to address Australia's core security needs
-2009 Defence White Paper Fantasy
-Analysing "The ADF Air Combat Capability- On the Record"
-Find out who is responsible for the Air Warfare Destroyer mess
-Analysis of Defence Materiel Organisation Major Projects Management and What Needs to be Fixed
-New DMO Boss warns the staff that business as usual is over
-How dangerous is the Defence Material Organisation to our Defence Industry?
-Australia's Failing Defence Structure and Management Methodology
-More on the dud-jamming gear Defence wants to buy
-ADF cost per flying hour
-I will wipe out bullying vows new Defence chief (Houston 2005)
-Vacancy
-Put Vol 2 Report of DLA Piper Review into the light of day
-Rory and Jim
-Parasitism as an Abstraction for Organizational Dysfunctions
-Hobart-class "Air Warfare Destroyer" to be fielded with obsolete radar guidance technology
-The Decay Of Critical Military Thinking And Writing-With Particular Reference To The RAAF
-Newspaper guy gets it right about sub project.... big time
-The great M-1 tank myth
-*UPDATE* Fear and loathing in Canberra - Audit released on MRH-90 helicopter project 
-RAN bullies contractor over Collins sub replacement
-2014-15 ADF budget shocker - Star-ranks
-Air Warfare Destroyer -- Billions, not millions over budget
-Australia's M-1 tanks are... a downgrade compared to what it had
-Weak links put on rubber-stamp Defence panel
-Stop the nonsense (Collins-class submarine replacement)
-Insert Joke Here
-Tyranny of distance--Long, drawn out helicopter projects are unsustainable
-2014-15 ADF budget shocker - cost per flying hour over the last budget year
-Tiger savaged by Navy League of Australia
-Tiger helicopter update
-Overview of corruption in Australia
-Government ignores its own 'rescue' report created to fix Air Warfare Destroyer woes
-DM Johnston fired in cabinet reshuffle

No comments: